What Y-DNA Lineages Can Tell Us About Jewish History and Migration
From: Rachel Unkefer (rubacharachdna.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
A screencast (video) is now available for those who were unable to attend the lecture with this title that I delivered at the IAJGS 2016 Conference due to the small capacity of the room. My presentation was not recorded by the conference either on audio or video.

From the session description:
Since 2013, the field of genealogical genetic testing has advanced from being able to sample the Y-chromosome in a few dozen locations to several million, thanks to “Next Generation Sequencing” (NGS) products like FTDNA’s Big Y and others. Networks of “citizen scientists” have begun mapping out genetic trees that are far more accurate than were ever before possible. This more extensive and accurate data is particularly useful for Jewish genealogists seeking to link groups of men to their common male ancestor farther back in time than the typical 8-10 generations covered by surnames. Because these new tests are costly and not easy to interpret, many genetic genealogists are not making full use of them. Using several ongoing Jewish lineage projects as examples (including one cluster of Ashkenazi men who might actually turn out to be from Portugal), a presentation at the IAJGS 2016 Conference in Seattle discussed real-world examples from two haplogroups not typically associated with Jewish men (I2a and R1b), testing strategies, and available data interpretation tools.

Here is the link:

Rachel Unkefer
Bacharach Y-DNA Project, R-FGC20747 Haplogroup Project, I2a Haplogroup Project, Suwalki-Lomza Jewish DNA Project

  • (no other messages in thread)